Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Vegas Baby! (But not the fun way)


I had a meeting in Las Vegas today. I'm on the plane now heading home. It's about 5:30pm and it's been a really long day.

When people think of Vegas, they think of gambling. I do not. I am not a gambler. Using my father's favorite expression, "might as well just stick that money up your ass!" And that's the truth. The last time I gambled, I put my quarter in the slot machine and it stole my quarter. Didn't even get to pull the handle.

Just planning to be in Vegas made my luck go south.

It started at 5:30am this morning. No driver. 7:10 am flight. Need driver stat! Called the car service and new driver was dispatched - showed up around 6am. Had mild anxiety but made to the airport with time to spare. (I guess there is some good luck mixed in with the bad.)

Then, we all boarded the plane and they found a hydraulic pump leak. We sat on the plane for an hour and then switched to another plane. The plane had just come in from Hawaii so they had to reset it and de-ice the wings. We took off around 8:50am. My meeting started at 10:30am. I got there at 11:30. And went to the wrong building. I finally got to the meeting with 10 minutes to do my part of the presentation.

Nailed it.

Off to lunch at the Grand Lux Cafe in the Venetian. Had a super yummy, gigantic seared rare ahi tuna salad. YUM!

Back to the airport with enough time for a beer.

Now I'm back on the plane heading home. We just flew over Lake Tahoe.

Wishing they had complimentary brewskis on this flight.

So it's been a day of bad luck sprinkled with good luck.

The final sign that I shouldn't gamble - I found a dime in the security line and was going to search out a dime slot machine but I lost the dime in the luggage scanner. Didn't even get to pull the handle.

And so it goes.

No comments: