Thursday, June 27, 2013

Backlash


I made it through seven straight days of constant movement and physical activity during the White Belt training and also took one delicious yoga class on Sunday - all with an angry back. I nursed my back all last week and carefully paid attention to its sensations and warnings. Not pushing too hard. Didn't want it to go out on me.

My mindfulness paid off and I made through all of this physical activity with no major "back event". Phew!

Enter Monday -

First day back at work after a week. Jumped right into my chair and worked away for the day. Only getting up for lunch and bathroom breaks. By the end of the day, I couldn't bend over, I couldn't touch my toes, I couldn't sit and even laying down was uncomfortable.

My chair literally gave me backlash! And it's a great chair (thanks mom!) so I KNOW it was the lack of movement. One day of sedentary life hurt my back worse than 7+ days of intense activity! CRAZY!

As soon as Jason got home Monday night, I strapped frozen veggies to my completely fucked up back and we raised my sitting work area to a standing workstation. We got creative and used a TV tray, random wood planks, some plastic filing racks and an Amazon box.

Cost = $0.


Derville is helping me commit to my new standing arrangement by stealing my chair!


I'm on day 3 of standing at the computer instead of sitting - all day. My legs are definitely tired but at least they get to dance around while I work! I can even do exercises and Nia moves while I'm working. I move around the house more and spend less time dicking around on the internet. You see, often, I'm waiting for an email from a colleague or approval to move forward on a project, etc. With the chair, I would just sit there...waiting...surfing the web. Now, standing up and waiting doesn't quite go together. The web seems less entertaining when my legs are screaming MOVE!

So now, if I'm standing, I'm moving. It's true, a body at rest stays at rest and a body in motion stays in motion. Therefore, I can really feel the caloric burn of simply standing. Funny also is that it makes me thirsty so I remember to drink more water during the day. BONUS!

I can't believe it took this long to make the switch to standing but now that I've done it, I don't think I'll be going back - the backlash is just too much!

No comments: