Monday, January 21, 2013

One Friend

 
Recently, my mom introduced us to the smooth, easy listening music of Keb Mo. All his songs are great, but there is a song called "One Friend" and it makes me cry almost every time I hear it.

This song hits me hard because sometimes I find myself feeling a little pitiful because I have such a small social circle here. For some reason, it's just been harder this time around to make friends. So, I find myself telling Jason, "I don't have any friends, just you." When I heard this song for the first time, I felt so ignorant and ungrateful for saying such a thing.  I'm the luckiest person in the world if I only have one friend, and even luckier if that one friend is my husband.

All I need is one friend
To get me through the day
One friend
That never goes away
Only one friend
To understand
And never let me down


Then, taking the concept of "one friend" beyond Jason and thinking about the love of my animals - they are definitely my friends. Family - we may not talk too often but I know my mom and dad are my friends and never let me down -- they are two of the best friends I could ever ask for. I look to my "one friend" in Portland, Krissy, and realize that her mom Debbie is my friend, her pal Elena Scissorhands is my friend. And before you know it, I realize I have more than one friend. And for that, I'm so thankful.

Thank you Keb Mo for helping me see the beauty and love that surrounds me even when I'm too self-involved to recognize it.




People come and people go
They take and they give
Build you up just to let you down
That's just the way it is

All I need is one friend
To get me through the day
One friend
That never goes away
Only one friend
To understand
And never let me down

I've been in love
I've been in pain
I'm a sinner
And a saint
No matter where I am
Or what I do
It's you I appreciate

All I need is one friend
To get me through the day
One friend
That never goes away
Only one friend
To understand
And never let me down

Can't nobody love you
More than you love yourself
And as long as I've got my one good friend
I don't need nobody else

Just my one friend
To get me through the day
One friend
That never goes away
Only one friend
To understand
And never let me down

No comments: