Tuesday, January 08, 2013

New Music - Alabama Shakes - Hold On

"Do you play guitar?" asks the woman at the counter. Looking at his right hand and the long fingernails he uses instead of a guitar pick, he says with a smile, "I try."

According to Jason, this interaction happens to him about once a week. Most of the time it evokes a conversation about music and often leads to interesting recommendations. Last Friday, this conversation led to the Alabama Shakes.

Alabama Shakes is a new band out of Athens, Alabama. To me, this is a very interesting fact. Most bands in the southeast that are "making it" come out of Athens, Georgia -- which has a notorious music scene. Athens, Alabama does not. I truly love an underdog story and this group doesn't disappoint.

I swear the lead singer is Janis Joplin reincarnated. The lady that recommended this band to Jason said she thought Janis had been circling the universe all these years waiting for the perfect vessel to inhabit and she finally found it.

Here's "Hold On" by Alabama Shakes from their 2012 debut album Boys and Girls (which recently received Grammy nominations for Best New Artist, Best Rock Performance, and Best Packaging).

When the world ain't treating you good, you got to hold on
When everybody lookin at you funny, you got to hold on

You got to hold on...



Alabama Shakes - Hold On from ATO Records on Vimeo.

Bless my heart
Bless my soul
Didn't think I'd make it to 22yrs old
There must be someone up above
sayin' "Come on Brittany, you got to come on up."

You got to hold on...
Yeah you got to hold on...

So, bless my heart and bless yours too
I don't know where I'm gonna go, don't what what I'm gonna do
Well, must be somebody up above
sayin' "Come on Brittany, You got to get back up!"

You got to hold on...
Yeah you got to hold on...

YEAH! YOU GOT TO WAIT!
YEAH! YOU GOT TO WAIT!
BUT, I DON'T WANNA WAIT!
NO I DON'T WANNA WAIT...

So, bless my heart
Bless my mind
I got so much I wanna do, I ain't got much time
So, must be somebody up above saying "Come on baby girl! You got to get back up!!"

You got to hold on...
Yeah you got to hold on...

YEAH! YOU GOT TO WAIT!
YEAH! YOU GOT TO WAIT!
WELL, I DON'T WANNA WAIT!
NO, I DON'T WANNA WAIT!

You got to hold on...

When the world ain't treating you good, you got to hold on
When everybody lookin at you funny, you got to hold on

You got to hold on...

No comments: