Friday, December 21, 2012

Happy Winter Solstice!

"The seasonal significance of the winter solstice is in the reversal of the gradual lengthening of nights and shortening of days."


I'm so happy that the winter solstice is finally here! Today is the shortest day of the year. It's been getting dark by 4:30pm recently and I'm so excited for the cycle to shift and the days start to getting longer again. I can't wait until the days end after 9pm and the sun is up by 5:30am. The farmer in me craves the long days and a hospitable growth environment.

We have some overwintering purple broccoli, bok choy, garlic, onions, chard and spices. They are interesting to watch, but definitely stunted by the temperatures and lack of light. I feel like the winter solstice is like getting over the hump. We've now achieved shortest, darkest day so let's get ready to flow into daylight and watch the world expand out around us.

Thank gawd the world didn't end today as everyone has been predicting. I've got big plans for our garden next year and would've hated to miss that!

(Side note: Jason and I were wondering, if the world did end today, what timezone would hold the definitive hour? In business, East Coast is usually the opener and closer of the day, but I'm not sure how that's handled in "Apocalypse time".)

No comments: