Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Travelin' On by Norah Jones

Many years ago, I was living far away from home in the heart of Humboldt County California. I'd never heard of Norah Jones but one day a care package came from my mom. If you've never seen one of her care packages, they are hilarious. She starts a box and then just tosses random items in there over a span of months as she sees things and thinks of me. (I have ten different kinds of zesters because of this and I love everyone of them!) Anyway, I received a much welcomed care package including kitchen accessories, dog toys, ill-fitting tops from Chicos, random childhood books and a Norah Jones album -- Come Away with Me.  Mom said she'd been listening to this album on permanent repeat and that I must listen to it. I'll never forget falling in love with that album. Everyday getting ready for my craptastic job and letting Norah soothe my soul. And I knew my mom was listening to it too. Thousands of miles apart but joined together by one album. Things didn't feel so lonely.

Thanks for sending those crazy care packages, Mom. Now get out your Little Broken Hearts album and let's have a listen!

"Travelin' On"  is my favorite lately. It soothes my restless, impatient soul and also gives voice to that little part of me that's constantly dumbfounded by the world around me -- not scared of it, just bewildered by it. 

I love the transcension at the end of the song:

Ooh ooh...
I can't believe what's happening now
Ooh ooh...
I love the way it's happening now

"Travelin' On" by Norah Jones from Little Broken Hearts

Favorite lyrics:

Hey don't be too hard on yourself
I'll be okay
Cause we won't leave this place any worse
Than when we came



You could never be a face in the crowd
So you're travelin' on, travelin' on out
Well you know I'd never say it out loud
But I'll be travelin' on, travelin' with you

Hey I'm too weak it's too much to fight off
The past so strong
But now I don't think too much of the time
I'll just try to keep up

Ooh ooh...
I can't believe what's happening now
Ooh ooh...
I can't believe what's happening now

If you notice that I'm falling behind
I'm taking my time taking it all in
So call me when you get where you're going
I'll keep travelin' on, travelin' to you

Hey don't be too hard on yourself
I'll be okay
Cause we won't leave this place any worse
Than when we came

Ooh ooh...
I can't believe what's happening now
Ooh ooh...
I can't believe what's happening now
Ooh ooh...
I love the way it's happening now

No comments: