We made kimchi with cabbage, carrots, green onions, red onions, rutabaga, daikon radish, garlic, cayenne, crushed red pepper and other things I'm sure I'm forgetting...
Here's Jason filling up the jar.
Close-up of the good stuff!
We only have one proper air lock fermenting jar and we wanted to save that for the pickles, so we used a giant jar and a sterilized rock. This is a pretty old-school method and we've never done it before, but so far so good!
Crocked and ready for action!
We also picked all the eligible cucumbers and finally made some pickles!
These guys aren't very uniform in shape but they taste great!
We used cucumbers (fresh-picked from the garden), dill, garlic clove, dried red pepper, crushed red pepper, peppercorn and a few carrot sticks. (I read that the carrots will help keep the cukes from getting mushy during fermentation and we have tons of carrots so that's why we threw some in.)
Here are both of the crocks after only 3 days!
They are progressing perfectly -- gurgling and bubbling and building probiotics. The cloudiness is normal -- and actually a good sign.
We should have kimchi and pickles by Sunday! YUM!