Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Garden Update June 13, 2012

Holey Moley! The garden is growing so fast -- I can't believe how much it's changed since the last update!

We've added a few things -- here's the organic rainbow Swiss chard where the tires used to be.


Raised bed: tomatoes, snow peas (gold and green), greens, cauliflower, broccoli, watermelon


Cauliflower! (Turns out one of the supposed broccoli plants grew up to be a cauliflower plant - oh, the surprises of nature!)

The broccoli is doing extremely well! I've never seen broccoli (or cauliflower) in "the wild" before -- it's a very interesting plant. I can't believe it's almost as tall as me -- who'da thunk?


Look at all the little broccolini-type things growing out of the pits of the branches! Crazy!

I think this guy below is ready for harvest -- looks like he might start bolting if we don't get it soon! I've read that once you cut the main crown that the other little ones will take off -- we'll see. Turns out we have FOUR broccoli plants and one cauliflower plant -- and boy does it smell like farts near these guys! Pungent!


Here's the dub-dig - cukes, onions, carrots, beets, red radishes doing excellent!


Here's JB snackin down on radishes (too bad I don't like radishes -- the big guy sure has his work cut out for him!) 


Look at these little beauties! Not much you can do to mess up a radish! (Mom, I think Jason's gonna need back up with these!)


We also added a quinoa (keen-wa) border at the edge of the fence. We used an organic rainbow variety and I'm really excited to see these guys grow. We love quinoa and can't wait to have it fresh from the garden.


The cucumbers are making a show too -- pass the pickles please!


The Beet Box- this is also a new addition. We used an organic rainbow mix here, as well. These are doing much better than the ones in the double dig area. I'm pretty sure it's due to seed preparation. This package had instructions to soak the seeds in water for 8-12 hours before sowing. I didn't do that with the others -- never even heard of it before but now I'll remember that trick for the rest of my gardening days!


This is the view from our bedroom window. The blackberries are blooming like crazy and starting to put on fruit. We love watching the bees do their thing through the window. Bees are amazing little creatures.

I love waking up and looking out the window at our bountiful garden and lush green backyard. Makes up for all those gray rainy winter mornings.


Last, but not least, the Hood Berries (strawberries) are in full effect! I love it when I can eat as many as my heart desires and there is still a ton left over. We were lucky enough to inherit a food dehydrator and it looks like these berries might be our first experiment!


Here's hoping your garden is green, your skies are blue and your veggies are plentiful!


No comments: