Wednesday, September 21, 2011

There is no "Jiffy" in Nature

In preparation for our first winter planting, I decided to try the "Jiffy" method of starting the seeds. I planted three types of onions, broccoli, and cauliflower.

Here's the onions after 3 weeks:


When we plant seeds directly in the ground, they sprout after 5-7 days. These things were on week 3 and barely knee-high to a grasshopper!

So drastic measures had to be taken. Today I took the onion seeds that had sprouted and planted them in one of the vacant tires. Done.

Then, I decided to turn the soil in an unused spot in the big garden bed and plant a fresh round of onion seeds. Done.

The broccoli and cauliflower starts didn't do too bad. They sprouted in the Jiffy container about 10 days after planted but they were so wimpy! I planted them in another vacant spot in the big garden bed. Done. 


We'll see how this winter planting goes. I'm not too concerned about the yield. My main two reasons for wanting the winter garden are:

1. It will help keep the soil from leaching and draining off during the winter
2. I really like watching nature at work and it would be nice to have something to entertain me during the gray winter days.

The Jiffy pot experiment has just reinforced to me something that I am learning more and more everyday. There is no "Jiffy" in nature. Things will happen when they are supposed to happen. And, more importantly, who am I to dictate when the right time is?

Our ecosystem has been functioning without "Jiffy" methods for millions and millions of years. I think we should continue to let the expert, Nature, set the timeline.

Seeds will sprout when the time is right. Not a minute before and not a minute too late.

We just have to be patient and trust Mother Nature.

No comments: