Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Gardening and some dirty nostalgia

The garden is finally IN!!!

We planted tomato starts and used seeds for green beans, snow peas, cucumbers, radishes, carrots, beets, lettuce, kale, basil, and pumpkins.

We had to hold off on putting the garden in this year due to all the rain and the lingering low temperatures. But this weekend we finally did it and it looks great!!


Larry came through again this year with a truckload of bomb-ass soil for our garden boxes. This time he had it delivered straight to our driveway. It's interesting how they do it here -- the truck just dumps the dirt at the end of your driveway and you wheelbarrow it to the back. I told him this was new to me for residential purposes. (Funny how you don't really think about some things until you see the antithesis.)

In true Oregonian form, he asks "So what did you do when you needed dirt?"  I told him, looking back over the years, that I guess we just bought a shit load of bags of dirt. I know, not very green of us.

Start nostalgic tangent:
I only remember about the bags of dirt because one time in high school, the guy I was "going with" and his buddy came over to my house while my dad was doing yard work. They puffed up, trying to look manly (ha!) and in their deepest voices greeted my dad with hearty handshakes and "Hello Mr. K! Doin' some yard work? Need some help?"


In true Dad form, he said, "Hell yeah, grab those bags of dirt and carry them to the other side of the house."

Oh my gawd, I died right there in the driveway. 

There were probably 50 huge bags of soil lined up in the garage! Of course, my guy could hardly lift one bag, but luckily his friend knew what it meant to do hard work and they moved the bags in about an hour. It seemed like a lifetime, though, because we were trying to get the hell outta there under the guise of going to the movies or something but instead doing stupid teenage things like playing quarters till I puked. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's how that night went. End nostalgic tangent
 
So yeah, bags of dirt is how we did it when I was growing up, Larry.

Back to the garden, our Hood Berries are growing out of control! We only had two plants last year and harvested about 3 berries. This year we already have over a hundred little greenies set and a hundred more blooms getting ready to fruit.






Hopefully, we'll have tons of  red, ripe berries for our special visitors next week! We're so excited to share our little piece of the world with them!

No comments: