Monday, May 23, 2011

Love Birds

This time last year, you and I were in separate states for seven days.

Separate states - geographically, physically, emotionally, and mentally.

Seven of the most heart-wrenching days I've experienced in my life.

While you were away, I would wrap myself with your big warm flannel shirts and pretend it was you giving me a big hug. Not the same though.

I spent the days staring out the window at the rain. It rained the whole time we were apart.

Seven days of wondering and waiting to hear from you.

I spent the nights trying to reach you by telepathy and then crying myself to sleep. Wrapped in your flannel and hugging a pillow I put on your side of the bed.

Then I got your call. Come here. It's time.

Turns out those seven days apart were only the prelude to the next seven together.

At least we were together for the hardest part.

Walking together in the pain like two lost love birds whose nest was just destroyed by the hand of nature.

Confused. Lost. Together. Alone.

(Male and female duck walking down our street together in the rain.)

No comments: