Friday, January 07, 2011

Northwest Proverb: The Grass is Always Greener in the Winter


I spend a lot of time staring out the window these days.

It's my favorite pastime. It's like meditating.

Everyday observing from the same seat in my office -- looking out over the same parts of the neighborhood and the same front yard.

The other day, I was staring at the neighbor's manicured golf-course-putting-green-style yard and thought to myself how strange it was that his yard looks better in the winter than in summer.

All summer, the grass bakes and fries and burns down to a brittle dust.

But in the winter, the grass is green and lush.

So the other day I thought to myself, "you know, the grass is always greener in the winter."

I thought it was funny. Like a Northwest proverb combining two traditional ideas--

"The grass is always greener on the other side" and
"There is no sun without shadow, and it is essential to know the night."  (Albert Camus)

It's like this:
In the winter, I can't wait for summer. To feel the sun and the warmth and watch life budding in the garden. 
But the rub is that the grass will be brown and dead during the summer. And since we don't water the yard for aesthetics, brown it stays until the rains come again in the winter.

Then like clockwork, the rains come and the grass is green and lush again, but it's cold, dark and damp.

I guess what I'm trying to say with my proverb is this: 
Seasons change and with that change comes an envy of seasons past. However, knowing and accepting the rub of each season allows appreciation of both.

Phewww. That idea was harder to hammer out on cyberpaper than I thought it would be.

I'm going to stare out the window with the animals now and dream of a warm summer and dead grass.

No comments: