Tuesday, October 05, 2010

NuArt and Old Goodbyes

With the end of Summer and the start of Fall, comes new beginnings and old goodbyes.

These are a few oil pastel drawings that I've done over the past few months. I really like using the oil pastel crayons because I can do a whole drawing in few hours rather than a few days with oil paint.

This one is called "The Big Goodbye."


Jason also posted a podcast called "The Big Goodbye" recently.

Description:
This was a dedication show for Waylon Jennings I put together back in March of 2002. I call it "Goodbye". All about that big goodbye. We are here and not, all at once. The dance around the black void of uncertainty which fuels us, pulls us into her. Having to say goodbye and go it alone into the unknown rules everything. It's the root of all our doings. So hello my friend, and my friend goodbye.
"Strawberry Fields Forever"


"The Princess's View from Her Bedroom"

It seems like this year has carried a central theme of patience for us.

We've been busy trying to quelch all the anxious thoughts running rampid in our brains with art and distraction. Simultaneously wishing that life would hurry up and unfold what it has in store for us, while noticing the blaring sirens of life passing us by at warp speed.

Making new art and revisiting old art has a way of completing the cycle for me. I can look back over the years and remember exactly what was going on in my life as the season changed and realize how much has stayed the same.

Mad Season has a song called "I'm Above" that I always think of as the seasons change because the lyrics are so true.

Life reveals what is dealt through seasons
Circle comes around each time
I've been blessed with eyes to see this
Behind the unwhole truth you hide
Bite to remind the bitten, bigger
Mouth repaying tenfold wide
My favorite line is "Bite to remind the bitten, bigger." It's so true, because it's easy for all of us to fall back into old habits and make the same mistakes again.

Here's to an uneventful Fall.

No alarms and no surprises, please.


No comments: