Friday, April 23, 2010

The Space Between You and Me




Expansive
Expensive
Empty
Pensive
Endless
Friendless
Ether
Either/Or
Neither/Nor
Charged
Enlarged
Starved


So far away - not just me - you did it too

You give me yours, I'll give you mine

Couldn't find time to get closer when we were closer

Even then, we were life-years apart

The bridge was burned before we built it

Looking back across the chasm - I don't recognize you

And you never knew me anyway

I thought the more you knew, the less you would like me

I never got the chance to withhold - only to withdraw

As I rearrange the mess in my head - I realize there is a lesson to be read

Sights and sounds pull me back down another year - I was here

Whipping past the reflecting pool of you and me

I'm not sure if what I see is really you or me - we never took our masks off

Now so many channels - we don't need the bridge we burned

We just need to care, no matter where we are in life

We all suffer the pain and strife

You never told me everything would be okay or that you were proud of me

Now I don't know

Can we go back?

Probably not

Can we stay the way we are now?

Hopefully not

Can we move forward and break the chains of the past?

You tell me

No comments: