Tuesday, July 21, 2009

You can't have one without the other...

Helen Keller said, "Keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadows."



I have followed this advice several times in my life when things looked dark and storms were brewing all around me. The sun was my salvation, my beacon for hope. I embraced it and cast off the shadows.

Often times, simply not facing the darkness, doesn't make it go away. As I grow older (and hopefully wiser), I realize that you can't have one without the other. The sun is the mother of the shadows. Darkness is just the negative space created by illumination.

If we didn't know the dark, how would we know the light?


Sometimes the shadows are just as beautiful and necessary as the sun.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Left speachless by the striking beauty of this post, from statement, to imagery, to the absolute subtlety and yet an immediacy of resonance absorbed in the silence of a staggering communication. Everything needed is right here within this post. Thank you for putting it out there.

Jo said...

What a fabulous post! You cannot have the sweet without the bitter. It's so true. The shadows make the sunlight even brighter. How boring would life be if it were always just one note all the time?

Stephanie said...

Brilliant, beautiful and wise. You, and the post!