Wednesday, March 04, 2009

One Person's Trash is Another Person's Treasure

About a month ago, my Grams moved and was going to toss a lot of stuff. I pleaded to please send me any crafty stuff that she was getting rid of.

My Grams and Gramps are the craftiest people I have ever known. All my childhood memories of them include some kind of crafting going on. They did upholstery, wood carving, sewing, macrame, basket weaving and the list goes on and on. One time, my Gramps even made a pink rubber band rifle for me. It was awesome (to shoot my brother with ;-).

So when two unassuming boxes showed up, I had no idea what all treasures they would contain.




There was a knitting bag/stand, yarn, material, oil and acrylic paints, wood carving tools...



A 1950's Singer 301 model sewing machine that Grams said still sews straight as an arrow...



It came with an awesome vintage case and all the original accessories!

Many excellent-condition vintage books by authors such as Dostoevsky, Hugo, Chaucer, Homer, Tolstoy, Hawthorne, and Scott.

The little book on top is a 1908 edition of Hawthorne's Mosses from an Old Manse and it is in great condition for being 100 years old!

What a treasure chest that Jason and I received. We both spent quite some time just touching and feeling and looking at all our new/old goodies.

THANKS to Grams, Mom, and Dad for taking the time to hold onto these things and send us such a wonderful gift! Much appreciated!

No comments: