Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Felting Magic

I finally finished my first knitting project. I committed to knitting one skein of yard for practice and then I would figure out what the heck it could be. Well, it turned out to be an ugly wiggly, mis-proportioned, rolly thing.



You can see all of the pictures on Flickr here. I'll spare you all the gorey details :-)

So I decided to go out on a limb and figure out a way to test out felting at the same time. I figured -- might as well just destroy the thing in the process if I at least learn along the way from my mistakes (sounds kinda like life, huh).

Anyway, I folded the bottom 2/3 in half and left the wiggly part as a flap and turned it into a purse. I sewed up the sides with some left over yarn (reinforcing the corners) and threw it in the washing machine. Washed it on HOT/COLD and then it came out looking like a purse! I put on a bamboo handle that I picked up at Craft Warehouse.



It was like magic. An ugly scarf thing transformed into a cute little purse (which holds two cans of soup).



It's funny to think that during the whole knitting process I was doing such a crappy job at it and I was starting to think that knitting was definitely not for me. But this turned out fabulously.

I like immediate gratification and it was starting to feel like I was knitting forever and couldn't really see any progression. But then I attempted the felting and, in 30 minutes, it covered up every dropped stitch and gauge malfunction that I had made over the last MONTH!

I'm so glad it turned into something useful, but if it hadn't I wouldn't have been too upset because I learned a lot about knitting and myself during my one skein of practice time.

Now, I have a loom that you can make hats and things on that I want to try out. I don't think I'll ever be making hats with 5 needles at one time.

I'll keep you posted on the looming. My friend who told me about it, said she can make a hat in ONE night watching TV. That's my kind of deal. Thanks for the tip!

No comments: