Sunday, January 11, 2009

Smitten with Knittin'

Recently, I have been obsessed with all things hand-knitted and especially the process of felting. I'm not a knitter, yet, but I have decided that it is the next creative outlet I would like to explore.

My grandmother taught me how to knit once when I was very young, about 7 or 8. I made a 4 inch by 6 inch wiggly, curled-up little scarf/hotpad thing. It was multiple pastel colors from a yarn I found in the depths of her basement. After a few weeks of working on a baby blanket for my cousin, I grew bored of it and started to think blow darts and WWF were really cool.

So that's my history with knitting. I have decided to revisit it, anew. If you have ever just walked into a crafts store and thought, "Maybe I'll try knitting..." you'll understand my initial dilemma. There are so many types of yarns and needles and patterns. All the example projects look so nice and easy, like this felted flower I saw. But when I read the pattern, it was more like a code...1st row: (RS). (K1.K1tbl) twice. K1. 5 sts. Work 3 rows in reverse stocking st. Wha?

Luckily, my SIL (mom, grams -- that stands for sister-in-law) Diana is a master knittress and gave me much needed and appreciated guidance on how to get started without breaking the bank.


Jason and I went to the Craft Warehouse near our house and I acquired a pair of 13" bamboo needles, size 9. (I don't know how I chose 9, except that a lot of the cute samples, like booties and hats, used anywhere from 8 to 10 so I split the difference.) I also got some on-sale multicolor wool yarn which is good for felting, if I advance to that level.



Now that I have the gear, I'm not sure what I'm going to make first, but I imagine it will turn into another wiggly, curled-up scarf until I get the feel for it.

Stay tuned!

No comments: