Tuesday, January 06, 2009

A Rose

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)



I think often about the changes a person goes through in this journey we call life. I wonder, if because we change along the way, does that make us a different person?

We get married and change our names -- are we still the rose we were before the legality of name change? If we keep our names, does that ensure that we will stay that person forever?

When we grow and learn and gain experience, can we even recognize ourselves after the transformation? Can others understand or accept who we have become? If we met our future selves, would we like them? Do we like who we are now?

So many questions with so few answers. It feels like I reassess who I am on a daily basis and only create more questions for which there are no answers. I have dreams of former friends and they don't like who I am now. Is that me not liking me, or is that just a heightened awareness that change has taken place?

Or are we just products of centrifugal distortion?

The effect of centrifugal distortion is to destroy the constant separation of the spectral lines. Separations increase line spacing in one half of the spectrum and decrease it in the other.

I think this is the case with me. Part of me thinks I am the same person I've always been, but reflections and refractions prove that there is another part of me that varies from the original product -- be it an illusion or actuallity.

So many amazing people have floated in and out of my life. It makes me wonder if I tried to reunite with them, would they be the same or a distortion of the person I knew before. Everyone changes, and I won't deny that fact, but as we change, does the name stay the same? Once we are distorted, are we disconnected forever. Has the constant separation of the spectral lines destroyed the rose, or just what we see when we look at the rose?

No comments: