Monday, January 12, 2009

Petaling Art

For several years, I have been drying bouquets of flowers and then saving the dried petals in shoe boxes. Now I have tons of boxes of dried flower petals and I don't know what to do with them. They don't smell like potpourri, like you would think, so that's not an option.



Jason and I tried an experiment that we called "Petaling Art." We used the dried petals affixed to a canvas with matte medium, hot glue, and melted candle wax, which we called Allergy Attack (because we were covered with pollen and sneezing up a storm by the time we finished). I think we may be on to something here but it didn't quite turn out as I had hoped.



THE PROCESS

First, I start with a beautiful bouquet of grocery store flowers. We enjoy the flowers in a vase until they begin to droop. Then, I pull off the excess leaves, tie the bunch together with string or a rubber band, and hang them from the cord on our mini blinds while they dry. (This has proven to be a good, out-of-the-way place to keep them.)


After a couple of weeks the flowers will be completely dry.

Once they're dry, I cut the flowers off and discard the stems. Then I save the flowers in shoe boxes because they aren't airtight so molding won't occur. Even the silica packs are helpful to eliminate the last bits of moisture.


Now, the question is, what the heck do I do with all these dried flowers? Any suggestions would be appreciated (you can even leave an anonymous comment). I really enjoy this process and having tons of organic material on hand. They're so pretty and it gives me a great excuse to always have a bouquet of fresh flowers on the kitchen table. But it's very frustrating to not know what I can DO with them. There must be something...come on all you creative minds out there...help me out!

1 comment:

Diana Leilani said...

Surely there must be some way to make paper out of the flowers!