Friday, January 09, 2009

The Pacific Northwest Collection

Well, this is the first installation of my new Pacific Northwest Collection -- "Northwest Juicy."



I like to think of all the paintings I did in California as the California Collection because they were all inspired by things that I saw or did while we lived in L.A. Therefore, now that we live in the Pacific Northwest, I am finding myself inspired by a whole new realm of things, hence the need for a Pacific Northwest Collection.

Here are some pictures of my creative process.

First, the background...



then a new color pallet for each element...



add some basic building blocks...



and branches for the leaves to live on...



(If you notice, there are some elements that just don't make the final cut. Like the yellow house and the insane bush I was painting in the picture above is now a dirt stairway to a secret place in the picture below.)

put some leaves on those trees...



and VOILA ... Northwest Juicy is complete!



Did you know it takes about 50 years for an oil painting to be considered completely dry!?

No comments: